Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 PM View Post #1 (Link) Who is more childish and disrespectful?
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
I've got a small scenario to tell you all before letting you pick either Person A or Person B is more childish and disrespectful.

Person B's mom had a birthday party one night. Eight people, including Person A, Person B, and Person B's mom, ate some of the birthday cake that night. There was one and a half slices left. Person A's brother said, "Looks like the rest is going to the trash."

Person A said, "Why?"

Person A's brother said, "The fate of all cakes is the garbage because no one eats cake that's saved, so we throw it out in a few days."

Persona A assumed this was talking from experience in previous times that cake was saved with his brother. Person A asked everyone who ate some of the cake if they were going to eat the rest, and if not, then Person A will finish it. This was asked three times, and everyone said they were not going to finish the cake, but Person B said, "Save it for later," while laughing at Person A's claim of eating the rest.

In the morning the next day, Person A did finish the slice and a half. Person B yelled at Person A with claims that Person A was disrespectful and childish for not asking Person B this morning if Person A could eat the rest because the slice and a half was apparently saved for Person B's mom. Person A tried to explain the above reasons, but Person B cut them off with repeated claims of Person A being disrespectful and childish before suddenly walking away.

Who do you think is more childish and disrespectful? Person A or Person B?

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 PM View Post #2 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
....Can you rewrite this with names instead of "Person X" and "Person X's Brother"? I cannot follow the story at all.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:41 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Originally Posted by lalodragon View Post
....Can you rewrite this with names instead of "Person X" and "Person X's Brother"? I cannot follow the story at all.
Well, Person A is Geo so we know that much so far.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:29 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Aspiring Author

-To lalodragon: Sorry for that. I wanted to provide a scenario that didn't involve names because it might seem biased to some viewers. For example, if I put a feminine name and then, an unjust feminist viewer might demand that the female character is in the right. Before anyone explodes, I'm not saying feminists are unjust or all feminists that are unjust do what I just gave as an example. It's just an example of what could happen.

-To Infinity_Man: Way to go on assumptions. I might be a witness to this scenario for all you know.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.

Last edited by GeonamicWarrior; 08-12-2016 at 03:34 AM.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:30 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Originally Posted by GeonamicWarrior View Post
-To Infinity_Man: Way to go on assumptions. I might be a witness to this scenario for all you know.
I'm going to stick with my original assessment

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:00 PM View Post #6 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by GeonamicWarrior View Post
-To lalodragon: Sorry for that. I wanted to provide a scenario that didn't involve names because it might seem biased to some viewers. For example, if I put a feminine name and then, an unjust feminist viewer might demand that the female character is in the right. Before anyone explodes, I'm not saying feminists are unjust or all feminists that are unjust do what I just gave as an example. It's just an example of what could happen.

Casey, Taylor, Jamie, and Alex. Go.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Aspiring Author

Originally Posted by lalodragon View Post
Casey, Taylor, Jamie, and Alex. Go.
Ok, I'll rewrite it with these names then, but I won't be putting "he" or "she" pronouns to keep some gender identification neutral.

I've got a small scenario to tell you all before letting you pick either Casey or Taylor is more childish and disrespectful.

Jamie had a birthday party one night. Eight people, including Casey, Taylor, and Jamie, ate some of the birthday cake that night. There was one and a half slices left. Alex said, "Looks like the rest is going to the trash."

Casey said, "Why?"

Alex said, "The fate of all cakes is the garbage because no one eats cake that's saved, so we throw it out in a few days."

Casey assumed this was talking from experience in previous times that cake was saved with Alex. Casey asked everyone who ate some of the cake if they were going to eat the rest, and if not, then Casey will finish it. This was asked three times, and everyone said they were not going to finish the cake, but Taylor said, "Save it for later," while laughing at Casey's claim of eating the rest.

In the morning the next day, Casey did finish the slice and a half. Taylor yelled at Casey with claims that Casey was disrespectful and childish for not asking Taylor this morning if Casey could eat the rest because the slice and a half was apparently saved for Jamie. Casey tried to explain the above reasons, but Taylor cut them off with repeated claims of Casey being disrespectful and childish before suddenly walking away.

Who do you think is more childish and disrespectful? Casey or Taylor?

Old 08-12-2016, 06:56 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

I'm not going to answer the actual question, if only because this still reads super biased despite your attempt to keep it from doing so. Giving gender to the people doesn't create bias, but heavily focusing on Casey's (or Person A's) perspectives and justifications while not actually giving us Taylor's (or Person B's) justifications, other than in a rude and brusque way (interrupting, not following a logical train of thought, etc) does create a very clear bias towards Casey. Reading it, it feels like you're trying to edge us to believe that Casey is in the right here.

Short answer, both of these people sound childish. It's a slice of cake. The idea that this issue is supposedly worth bringing to a debate is odd, to me, because it just seems like such a non-issue.

There's also, I think, an amount of broken telephone going on here. I only have your word for how things went down, and unless these people actually speak like they're part of a Greek chorus ("The fate of all cakes is garbage") it seems like you've not given us the verbatim record here.

Which means that the one piece of information I think this whole question hinges on is unreliable. Specifically, how Person B said "save it for later." There's a slew of ways this could be meant, and a whole other way it could be interpreted. Judging by person B's reaction, I'm guessing what they were saying, or meant to say, was "I might like to have it later, so please save it for now so I may decide in future if I'd like it." It's logical, then, that Person B would be annoyed at Person A for first seeming to listen to Person B (after all, if they thought Person B was just making a suggestion, why would that stop someone who wanted cake now?) and then going back on that request. Like, Person A did them the courtesy of saving the cake in case Person B might change their mind and want it later (I don't care what Person B's mom says about the life expectancy of leftovers in this household, that's hardly evidence) and then committed a faux pas by eating the cake without first checking in with them.

So, I mean, it sounds like a communication error. Neither person is in the right, but I don't think either person is in the wrong either, and to have this devolve into tantrums just makes both parties childish.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:38 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Both of them are wrong for not giving me the cake.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:09 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Aspiring Author

To Infinity_Man: I forgot to mention that all quoted dialogue is the exact wording while non-quoted dialogue was expressed in different ways and at different times compared to the sequence here. For example, Person A's assumption that Person A's brother was talking from experience did happen there, but it was revealed in multiple ways later. I do see your point with this being a very trivial debate, but culturally, it means a bit more than just a slice and a half of cake. I agree with this being a communication misunderstanding, but I was given this question of "Who is more childish and disrespectful?" Of course, I already answered, so it's not like I'm asking for an answer. However, I should have looked at both sides, like you mentioned, before answering. I was mostly curious about what everyone else would say.

To Dabs: HA! XD