Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-24-2017, 05:56 PM View Post #1 (Link) How do i beat the block?!
kingofhearts (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I've had a year-long writers block that doesn't seem to go away, no matter how hard I try. I make small prompt writings but I can never sit down and write one of my many books I've started
How do you beat writers block?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:35 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Well, when you say something like, "I just can't finish these books," I don't know if I entirely believe you. The thing is, it's not that you just can't do it. There's something that's getting in your way.

Writer's block isn't like, an actual thing. I mean, there are reasons people's creativity gets clogged, but chalking it all up to writer's block I think avoids the actual issue(s) you're experiencing.

Some people have a really tough time shutting off their internal editor, or are such perfectionists that they just can't get anything on the page for fear of it not being good enough. This is the most common case.

Some people overburden themselves with too many ideas and are basically in a constant state of being burned out because they can't bring the level of focus and energy they need to a single project.

Some people just haven't disciplined themselves enough to actually get the writing done, and they just kind of procrastinate and call it writer's block.

Some people have this really over-romanticized notion of what artistic inspiration is, and they won't write if they don't feel that kind of genuine, rapturous energy (honestly that sounds so pretentious, I know, but I know people like that). When they don't feel that energy, they call it writer's block.

Sometimes our mental health also gets the better of us. I've had periods where I wrote very infrequently, if at all, because I was just too depressed to type anything out. It happens, and if that's the case then take care of yourself, first, and worry about writing later.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:37 AM View Post #3 (Link) Writer's block tips
Jaclynwrites (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 2
Hello,
I know this post is a little old, but I saw this and knew I had to reply. Here are some tips coming from someone who has suffered from writer's block:
1) If you are writing with deadlines (personal or from the workplace) in the back of your mind, chances are this could be hindering your writer's brain and preventing you from putting pen to paper and getting things done! You should be writing because you want to, not because someone is depending on you/ Setting goals are great, but don't punish yourself for not reaching them. Take your time. Your story is in there, and when it's ready, it'll come. Be patient.
2) If your current piece is no longer working out, write something you want to write. This isn't to say you should be starting new projects left and right, but if you can't tear into your current story at all and you have a different story in the back of your mind you're itching to write, there's no shame in diving into it! Write about WHATEVER you want and see where it takes you
3) If something is bothering you, write about it. Write about what hurts and is raw and real.
4) If you've hit a block with a character/scene, "the problem is probably further back" Dig deep and ask tons of questions.
5) Write about places you know.
6) Sometimes, you might not need to work on a particular story. You can write characterization of yourself (writing about yourself is a really good exercise as well!) is just enough to get your writer's brain going.
I hope this helps. I have some different exercises/ tips so feel free to PM me!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:15 AM View Post #4 (Link)
tangomaria (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
i like to try endless writing exercises.

grab a prompt and start writing. DO NOT STOP. set a timer for 15 minutes and just write everything that comes out. i find that helps a lot. i also find traveling or wandering around the world and life a bit helps
Old 08-25-2017, 02:06 PM View Post #5 (Link)
SKritorre (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 6
Woolfe's style of writing has often been likened to a 'stream of consciousness'. When I get writer's block I open up a new document and just write whatever comes into my head. More than once it's ended up being a list of all the homework I should be doing instead of writing, but at least it's something.
Or you could change your approach. Sometimes I can't think of a plot point to base a story around so I create a character and see what happens when I put them in a place or situation I'm familiar with (e.g. going to my local café...what's their order?)