Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 PM View Post #1 (Link) Can immortals have near death experiences?
WordWizard (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 4
They cannot die but can they have experiences that are like they are close to death?

I know this may seem like a weird question but I'm currently adding more ideas for my story.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:16 PM View Post #2 (Link)
miss_smiley (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Location: Not sure... but it's dark and hot and smells of...burning...
Times Thanked: 33
One of the marvelous paradoxes of writing is that you, as the author, get to decide stuff like this, since, in this world, we either have no immortals or they're real quiet about it. I think it's a cool idea, though - especially if they're not entirely sure of their immortality. Adds a frisson of thrill, no?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 PM View Post #3 (Link)
PocketFuzz (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 2
For an immortal, even if they cannot die, they can certainly have experiences including a fear of death. Whether it be through actually dying, or just losing their immortality (which, if you're supposed to live forever, is practically the same thing). The olympian gods and deities throughout history have all granted immortality. Why not take it also? And presumably immortal gods have experienced permanent death, a la Baldr in the Norse pantheon.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:08 AM View Post #4 (Link)
addictedtoreading (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 45
I think its reasonable to note that a person can be immortal but still feel/experience pain and even contract chronic illnesses. While getting hit by a train certainly won't kill an immortal, I don't think it would be an enjoyable experience. Also, it could be plausible that an immortal could contract degenerative diseases such as ALS or alzeihmers or even cancer, something that is incurable but won't kill them, they just will have to live forever with it. And while it won't kill them per say, having cancer in your brain, or MS certainly would alter their lives and be an overall painful experience.

Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any comments or questions, I'm always happy to talk about anything reading or writing related. If you want me to look at your writing just ask!
It is not hard to write what one feels as truth. It is damned hard to live by it.
-Eugene O'Neil to Alexander Berkman
I am also a major Tumblr addict and have a collection of quotes (reblogged and stockpiled over the course of five years) that you are welcome to peruse
Old 08-25-2017, 02:53 PM View Post #5 (Link)
SKritorre (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 6
I agree. Immortals definitely can have near-death experiences. In fact, that's kind of the point of being immortal - that's the closest they can get and it definitely wouldn't be enjoyable!
This might not be any use to your story at all, but why not have the near-death experience be how your character becomes/discovers they are immortal? Perhaps they should have died but then woke up again?
Old 09-01-2017, 01:15 AM View Post #6 (Link)
WordWizard (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 4
That was actually what I planned on happening.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 PM View Post #7 (Link)
SKritorre (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 6
Awesome! Let me know when you post it, I'd love to read it