Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 AM View Post #101 (Link)
FC Victor (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 2
Why does america still have pennies? They're useless! Americans spend so much time fumbling with pennies that could be spend doing other things. Billions of dollars are wasted by this opportunity cost. Billlions! I say! Money is used to transfer between with goods and services. BUT PENNIES DOEN"T DO THIS EFFECTIVLY! places where coins are most commenly used like vending machines and parking meters don't accept pennies! THE PENNY IS USELESS! But americans are centimentalists, so... The penny costs. more than it's worth to mint. Canada has already stopped minting it's penny, and you can take the canadian pennies in to be melted, or keep them to be used. Why don't we do the same? If our boarder cousin did it why don't we follow their footsteps and get rid of the useless penny? ARG America you're impossible. You got so many issues with money! Don't even get me started on nickels. But you know what I hate most? Those dang dollar bills with their 22 month lifespan. LISTEN TO EUROPE PEOPLE!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:57 PM View Post #102 (Link)
S.J. Barnesington (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
I remember it well. I almost died. The car came towards me at a wldildy fast pace but somehow, I'm still living. At least I think I am... I could be dead bit I seriously doubt it. I think if I re to be dead I would know,. that drinver hit my brother who was walking with me that day though and i wont ever forgive that driver. He still hasn't been cauht. Even though tI just thought.

I think I might have accidentally deleted like half of what I wrote, but whatever. It's just a freewrite.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:18 PM View Post #103 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 49
Nice, Barnesington! I love that beginning, "I remember it well. I almost died."

Here's mine, but I haven't a clue what my point was:
----------------------

Kids in the park, they're swinging. Up and down, laughing. Adults aren't in the park. Adults watch. Watching eyes from afar-- are kids the only humans who enjoy being watched? Who feel comforted when they know that eyes are on them-- who fail-- who fear to stray away from the watcfhfu watchful eyes of the caretaker.

If a kids were in a horror movie, would the back of their hair stand on end before the parents left, if a mallevolant force was watching them? Would they notice? Or would it be comforting, once their parents left, to have the eye of someone older and bigger on them. Would the hairs on their neck relax, and would they calm, to have a strong, tall, man with a hiden hidden face approach?

Perhaps not once they could see him.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:43 PM View Post #104 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Wow this thread is old. I didn't realize how old it was because it's 11 pages, which I guess is old but I'm used to other forums where lots of people keep talking. So I guess 11 pages is really old in YWO terms.

I'm just free flowing right now by the way, sitting here at work.

I get nostalgia looking at really old posts. Like the first post here was 2009. Gosh I was only 18 then, had just started college. Jesus Christ. Time. Time ravages us all. We were all so different in 2009. I definitely was. I'm looking back because my girlfriend and I sort of broke up. We're taking some time for ourselves to think about everything and haven't spoken a lot this month. I've been in fierce denial of my age. Just turned 26. When I was 20 my friend in college kept warning me "We're getting old man! Time's gonna run out and college is gonna end!" And I wasn't that worried. I did my thing, whatever it was. Then it happened - college ended. now I have a job. I've had the same job for almost 4 years now. When I was 19 I imagined running away from college and walking the Earth and I'd have all sorts of adventures. This is what my adventure has turned into - sitting in a room typing about how my adventure turns into just sitting in a room and typing - and being paid for it. When you're younger you have so many ideas and you may even start them. But then your goals become more temporary - the next paycheck, the next meal, the next obligation you must attend, the next day. Everything suddenly becomes about just getting by for the next day. I don't know if I want to go to grad school - because honestly looking at the people I know who are in grad school their lives are just like mine just in a different setting. the other day I had a momentary freak out. I drove down Route 9 - a major artery in New Jersey that everybody eventually finds themselves driving down - and made a realization. Capitalism. Here it is. This is life. We have suburbs huddled together and then the rest is full of Starbucks, Targets, Best Buys, Malls, Applebees, Exxon, hair salons, dry cleaners, Chinese restaurants - people move and go out only to get what they need for the moment and then retreat to their homes. that's what most people's entire days consist of. Is this really it? Are we little blind moles scurrying around? How do I get out of here?
Old 04-03-2016, 05:47 PM View Post #105 (Link)
S.J. Barnesington (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

It was in the middle of winter, temperatures below 0 degrees farenheight. I was driving home from work and I saw a little kitten abandoned in the gutter. At least I thought it was a kitten. It was like blizzard outside, so I couldn't reallt see clearly. When I got home, I found out it wasn't really a kitten after all, it ewaw actually a small raccoon. I wss living with a friend who already would be mad if they found I had brought home a kitten, imagine when they saw theat I had brought home a raccoon! Surely enough, when they waljed into the room, they saw the raccoon and screamed.

Also, if you like writing prompts, maybe check out the group I started called Prompts and More.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:48 PM View Post #106 (Link)
totom (Offline)
Novice Writer

I was bring my cup of coffee to my working room while a snake dropped to my right hand where i hold my cup of coffee. I screaming loudly and dropped away my cup of coffee an run for look a help.. I got a help from my friend and then the snake wasted to the river..