Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 09-29-2009, 07:17 AM View Post #1 (Link) Writing Tip #1: Put off editing
cordellpascall (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 0
Writing Tip #1: Put off editing
Each of us works at writing on two levels:a creative, unconscious leveland a critical, conscious level.

The unconscious produces creative and powerful words and images. It makes surprising and original connections. It shuts down if the critical "editor" part of your mind goes to work too soon.If your High School English teacher's voice runs through your mind as you write, if you worry about spelling, grammar, or how to sell your book while you write, you are writing with a dull pencil.

There are many books written on how to unlock your unconscious and let the writing flow. Here are just a few ideas

* Brainstorm words or images about your topic. Don't stop to evaluate their worth. Keep writing down ideas. When you can't think of another word, wait a while. Often the most powerful idea will surface after you have cleared all the less valuable ideas out of the way.
* Write a page or two with your eyes shut. It doesn't matter if you can't read what you've written. You are giving your mind permission to make "mistakes" and just get on with it.
* Write with music in the background. Experiment to find the style that you like. I prefer baroque or classical music. One of my writing teachers needed country and western.
* Give yourself permission to be emotional. If your writing begins to move you, experience the full emotion. Before your writing changes others it will change you.

Edit your work only when you have drawn deeply from the well of your unconscious.

Spelling counts. So does good grammar. They support vibrant writing. They do not create vibrant writing. There are a great many correctly written lifeless sentences.

The best writing comes to life, and then is refined just enough to make it crystal clear.

First, give it life.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 PM View Post #2 (Link)
julio_w (Offline)
Literary Newbie

I have to admit that I hate editing. Most of the time I keep putting it off and off until I have like several thousand words to read through. It's kind of one of those things that I just have to be in the mood to do.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 AM View Post #3 (Link)
tanmigold (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Originally Posted by cordellpascall View Post
Writing Tip #1: Put off editing
Each of us works at writing on two levels:a creative, unconscious leveland a critical, conscious level.

The unconscious produces creative and powerful words and images. It makes surprising and original connections. It shuts down if the critical "editor" part of your mind goes to work too soon.If your High School English teacher's voice runs through your mind as you write, if you worry about spelling, grammar, or how to sell your book while you write, you are writing with a dull pencil.

There are many books written on how to unlock your unconscious and let the writing flow. Here are just a few ideas

* Brainstorm words or images about your topic. Don't stop to evaluate their worth. Keep writing down ideas. When you can't think of another word, wait a while. Often the most powerful idea will surface after you have cleared all the less valuable ideas out of the way.
* Write a page or two with your eyes shut. It doesn't matter if you can't read what you've written. You are giving your mind permission to make "mistakes" and just get on with it.
* Write with music in the background. Experiment to find the style that you like. I prefer baroque or classical music. One of my writing teachers needed country and western.
* Give yourself permission to be emotional. If your writing begins to move you, experience the full emotion. Before your writing changes others it will change you.

Edit your work only when you have drawn deeply from the well of your unconscious.

Spelling counts. So does good grammar. They support vibrant writing. They do not create vibrant writing. There are a great many correctly written lifeless sentences.

The best writing comes to life, and then is refined just enough to make it crystal clear.

First, give it life.
I totally agree with you. This is the best strategy to develop a good write. Editing can always be done at a later stage, after completely expressing our ideas.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM View Post #4 (Link)
johnstardling (Offline)
Literary Newbie

thanks for the help mate!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Caitlin40 (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 1
It's a great tip, as it's almost impossible to make up anything worthy constantly paying attention to the form, expressive side of your thoughts. In this way you may lose the whole chain of images crossing your mind.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Stacy (Offline)
Banned

It's rather hard to work with a particular piece of writing being too 'familiar' with it. You have to forget about it for a while before editting. In this way, you'll more easily find your mistakes.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:47 PM View Post #7 (Link)
hunt (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Thanks guys, found a lot of useful and interesting information! 192.168.1.1

Last edited by hunt; 02-19-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:03 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Eric Romano (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
I have a tip for writing stories.
Has anyone tried writing stories using Flashcards?
It's very interesting. Whenever you can visualize a scene in your story, put it down on a flashcard. Cram helps you to make them easily.
For a good story, I recommend you have at least 5 before you try to start writing it because chances are you don’t have a fully fleshed-out story if you can’t even come up with 5 scenes. If you agree, then write as many flashcards as you can. The more the merrier. And you can connect them scene by scene and finally write a good story.