Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 PM View Post #1 (Link) Photo Descriptions
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
This thread is based on describing photos, and improving your descriptions. You describe the picture before you, and then you link to a new photograph for the next person to describe.

Your photos can be of absolutely anything, as long as someone can write a paragraph about it.

You can fictionalize your descrpitions. For example, if there are people in one, you can give them made-up names, etc.

To start, here's one I found on Google:
http://kevingong.com/Hiking/Images/Z...5Meadow001.jpg

Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
"Keep running, Jake! Don't fucking stop!"

A ferocious roar sounded off behind the fleeing campers, freezing their hearts as they hurried away from the danger.

"What the fuck is wrong with that thing, Javy? Jesus Christ, it ate Mitchell!"

"I don't know, Jake! And I don't wanna stick around to find out!"

The tall grass offered little cover for the unfortunate campers to hide. Even if they tried to play dead like they were taught to do, it would do no good in the end.

The creature behind them was no normal bear.

"Head for the trees! We can ditch it in there!" Javy yelled.

Jake looked over his shoulder, hoping the rabid bear wouldn't be on their tail.

But it was.

"Oh shit!" He yelped.

Javy didn't turn around, nor did he stop running.

The bear roared once again, sending nearby birds fleeing from their perches. The sky above the two campers grew dark from their winged escape.

Jake looked up into the sky as the birds blotted out the sun.
In that moment, he wished not for the first time that he could fly.

New picture: http://www.osa.org/news/pressroom/re...p_image002.jpg

Old 05-17-2008, 04:12 PM View Post #3 (Link)
maz. (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 0
BOOM

"Ahhh Mummy! See that orangey thing in the sky? Yeah its a bommy night in the sky!"

New Picture: http://www.mordantorange.com/images/...od/melting.gif
Old 05-18-2008, 01:57 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Midnight_Moon (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 31
"Ice Cream, I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream," yelled a little boy when he got his two scoops of ice cream on a cone. The 101 degrees in the shade was doing in everything, even the ice cream. The boy quickly at his ice cream like a dog eating a scrap of meat. Ah, yes, what a great way to spend a hot summer day.

Here is the new picture:
The New PICTURE!!! ^_^
We will all be stars

-"I Sing The Body Electric"
Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Nanyoky (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Location: Gaia! Seriously. I'm Tifa and own Seventh Heaven. Cloud's mine. Back off.
Times Thanked: 3
"Come on hurry up!"
"I'm coming you spazz! It's dark, you can't expect me to keep up with you! You're a total hick! You're used to this!"
Jackie laughed, pausing to wait for the boy. "Come on track star, don't tell me you've never gone on a night run before."
"On a track? Yes. A street? All the time," Nate panted, his hands on his knees. "Through a pine forest? Not on your life."
"Well catch your breath quick," she slapped his back bracingly. "We've got to get to the clearing in time." And she took off again, leaping over holes in the dirt and old logs and stumps with apparent ease.
"What for?" he called after her, stumbling along reluctantly behind her. Never before had he felt so slow. "Where are we going anyway?"
"You'll see!"
Nate groaned, trying to ignore the fact that branches and twigs were tearing at his skin and clothes and his face was covered in tiny scratches.
Jackie finally burst into a clearing ahead of him.
"Well this is great," he snorted sarcastically.
"Shut up," she rolled her eyes, only slightly out of breath. "Just have a seat and wait a second." She sat on a flat rock, leaning back and bracing her hands on the cold stone. "See, it's already starting."
Nate looked up and his jaw dropped open. A green curtain hung in the sky, shifting in color and shape. Looking back down at Jackie, he saw the colors reflected on her smiling face and sparkling on the silver dog tags around her neck. She looked like a different species, like an elf or fairy or something.
"Bet you got nothin like this down in Missoura," she accented the end of the state exageratedly, breaking the image in his head of a graceful woodland creature. Her eyes didn't once leave the skies.
"No. Nothing like it at all." He agreed, his eyes still on her.
((aww... sappy cheese... my favorite!))
kk, this is a weird one, i couldnt' think of anything: http://trebday.com/stills/a_poor_school.jpg
Old 06-13-2008, 07:14 PM View Post #6 (Link)
ABrainDivided (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
The image rippled softly between his yellow fingers. They weren't like the young hands sprawled carelessly over an underused desk. Oxygen whirred coldly through his tube laced nostrils. No, the fingers were not his anymore. The page fluttered from his grip to the teal blanket which covered his thin legs. He was older than that piece a paper, heck, he was probably older than everything in the room. Oh the stupidity that had run its course. Time can be measured, predicted, and summarized, but oh lordy it can't be redone. He pulled deep from the tubes. No time was very much irreversible.

Next Pic

Last edited by ABrainDivided; 06-13-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Reason: whoops!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Wheelsgr (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
Haha, I think I might have gotten carried away but I wrote it in a sort of short story/observation/satirical type of passage... thing... I think a poem would fit this... sorry it's so long and boring.

The castle was in the washer-woman's peripheral; a large, unyielding reminder of her oppression. She was almost invisible, as usual. She took her time, slowly scrubbing away the sins that the rich had stained their clothes with. Oftentimes she felt much like the water with which she washed the clothes. Murky and brown in its colour from a distance, but, upon closer inspection, crystal clear. Though she was dirty and draped in rags, she felt her manners far superior to those of the inhabitants of the all-seeing towers and turrets. She at least cared for others. They, so far removed from the world, would oftentimes simply ignore their beautiful surroundings in preference for the sordid company of one another in which their neighbour's actions were broken down through the social grapevine over the afternoon's tea. The beautiful forest which seemed to contain a spectrum of its own made entirely of green hugged them, enticed them, begged them to come out and play among the trunks, caress the ground with light, careless footsteps, and admire the the vast array of colours which were each unique and worth the notice.

They had the time to do all this whilst she, the washerwoman, did not. But instead they stayed inside and created complex nothings that simply served the purpose of passing the time. And they consumed comfortably, knowing the efforts that created the product yet still wasting, almost in malicious spite. The washerwoman spat as she thought: The barbarians.

In her mind, she was certain. Future generations would surpass these ancestors and grow out of this barbarism to something much greater... but then again, a simple washerwoman would not understand the workings of society...

Next picture (a little creepy...):

Last edited by Wheelsgr; 06-18-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 PM View Post #8 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176

It felt good to bathe in blood.
Typically, Shadow would have wanted to slice the woman's throat and THEN rape her, but today he was Jack the Ripper, and he would kill people as if he were Jack the Ripper.
Everyday was a new serial killer celebrity.
Of course, at the end of the kill he added his own touch, just to give the police a little break and realize all these killings were from one person.
Shadow had dug his hands in the woman's stomach and, blood-stained, made circles. He concentrated, making swift swirls, unflinching, unblinking. He felt the power within him grow.
Up above in the heavens, God himself witnessed this sin and brought light down upon him.
Shadow looked up.
It was about time the police copter showed up.

(wow, I never knew I had horror in me. I think I've read one too many of Zomb's post. Shadow is such a corny name, I just borrowed it from "American Gods" )

Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
(I don't fully understand what this picture is...so it will be weird)

I was thirty yards away from the strange ground I had once stood on. I didn't know what it was, didn't know why it was there, all I knew was that it wasn't normal ground.
You're probably thinking to yourself, "Who cares what it looked like! Why talk about it?". Well if you saw this ground, you'd ask yourself what I asked myself just a few moments ago.

"What. The. Fuck?"

Now that I think about it, I think that I may have just walked on Play Dough. It looked like it. Kind of felt like it. Then again, I wouldn't know what it feels like under my shoes.
Maybe it was an alien?

Whatever it was, I will never know. I am getting the hell away from it and I aint looking back.

I looked back.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:21 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Mercy (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 104
Two sleek, silver-gray companions leap for the world beyond the water-bowl, liquid splattering against the air. Their lip-lines curve up in a playful smile, flecks of water flying from their noses. The sun's rays lighten their skin, causing it to gleam and shimmer against the brilliant blue sky and white whispers of clouds.

Backs arched, the two friends prepared to return to their cerulean-shadowed home.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ady/img037.jpg

Feel free to PM me for a critique!
How to Critique by Andy
The Great Newb Guide
by Tsuki