Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

View Poll Results: At what age did you start taking writing seriously?
6 or earlier 1 1.45%
7-8 2 2.90%
9-10 6 8.70%
11-12 19 27.54%
13-14 20 28.99%
15-16 10 14.49%
17-18 1 1.45%
19-20 1 1.45%
21-22 0 0%
23-24 0 0%
25 and up 0 0%
I haven't...yet! 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM View Post #21 (Link)
snow_yuki (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Location: I currently work at the Fields of Asphodel with Daedalus X)
Times Thanked: 2
I took writing English novels and stories seriously when I was fourteen.

Nico strode forward.
The enemy army fell back before him like he radiated death,
which of course he did.

His expression turned as dark as Tartarus, she didn't know why, but she got the idea: Drop it.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM View Post #22 (Link)
Schweet-T (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 6
I'd probably say around 13-14. There was a girl I liked, and I wrote her poems. She still has them, actually. XD

Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM View Post #23 (Link)
rania (Offline)
Inkweaver

Times Thanked: 34
At the age of fifteen, when I'd written my first short story and my friends said that I should develop it into a novel. I'm still working on it

Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM View Post #24 (Link)
thekingsguard (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
I've wanted to write since the third grade. Didn't get good at it until aorund the time I was finishing high school. Didn't take it seriously until I started my blog, and got involved in freelance writing.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 PM View Post #25 (Link)
Rurikredwolf (Offline)
Novice Writer

I started to take it seriously after I reached the end of my first series, when I was 15. I loved how I felt at the end and I immediately started on the sequel. This was about three years ago and I remade the series with The Ceremony, which I started to post on here.

But although I want to become an author, I don't want it to be less fun. Hence why I came here instead of going to a creative writing class in college.

Also, I am dyslexic.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM View Post #26 (Link) Well...
Alaera (Offline)
Literary Newbie

When I 1st saw my cousin after many years, she inspired me to start writing again. But I never took it seriously until the year later (aged 11) when I found out how much you can enjoy it!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:46 AM View Post #27 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
There should be an option for people like me who haven't started taking it seriously yet
That's absolutely right! How can we take seriously such a useless and eccentric occupation as the writing?
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 PM View Post #28 (Link)
Artmis (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 12
I would say about 10-12 I guess

Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 AM View Post #29 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
When my uncle saw me writing, he asked me: " Why so serious?"
Since then I've been writing nonsense for fun.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 05-26-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 AM View Post #30 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
I've been writing for a long time. When I was seven I started writing a Fantasy novel which was actually pretty original considering I was seven. I spent a good amount of time going back to that one novel until I was twelve and realized, looking back at the first chapter, that I could easily map out my writing improving throughout the book and moved onto something a bit more... serious.

The first time I finished a draft of a novel was when I was 13 or 14. But I don't think I started taking writing seriously - and in my case I mean I never looked at it as something I could seriously get into the business of - until this year, really, when I realized I had something that might be publishable.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.

Closed Thread