Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 PM View Post #1 (Link) Help?
Maroon-Back 313 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 21
Hey everyone. I've got two novels underway and have posted consistently on both ends, except I'm simply not receiving critiques lately. One post has been up for two months and the other one has been up a month and I haven't received a response. Would anyone care to critique one of them? I'm really waiting on a critique for the Descendant rather than YLSP, but either one is welcome.

Also, my twin Ji, I love you

Aly. I love you so much it's ridiculous go away. Except don't, I'd be lost without your affection, your support, your excellent reading material, and your friendship

Kel! Thank you for making me think with every conversation we have. Thank you for changing my perspective on so many aspects of life. It's incredible how you do that

Carr. You've been acknowledged ... xD You're awesome and morbid and talented and yup. There you go
Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
I think you'd better address InfinityMan with this request for two reasons: a) The direct address is going to be more effective b) InfinityMan is a nut on cririque. Oh, yeah, there's the third reason: InfinityMan rarely, very rarely refuses.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 05-25-2013, 06:46 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Wig (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 102
Do you post every chapter? Because sometimes it's an idea to just post the chapters that you feel aren't strong enough or that need the most work, this way people aren't repeating themselves as much in a critique - like if I critiqued your third chapter and then your tenth, but it had the same issues in both.

Some people get bored when you get to chapter 20 or so of the same story just being continuously posted.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
More or less what Wig said. If you're finding people aren't as invested in giving you critiques, it probably has to do with the sheer amount of what you're sharing. I, personally, think of critiquing in terms of time investment. Yes, I could read to chapter 20 of YLSP, but I'd want to know what was going on so I could give comments on the plot and whatnot, which means I effectively have to read at least a novella to catch up. In that time, I could probably critique 20 different people's work--not to say any of those 20 people are more important than you, but I'd rather 20 people had an idea of how to improve than 1 person had really in-depth criticism of their work-in-progress. Even The Descendants, at 5 chapters, seems like a long investment.

I probably won't critique either piece for now, just because I am in a position right now where I have nothing to do but read (not online, or on a computer, but actual books) for hours each day (I've finished 3 books in the last two days) and the last thing I want to do with my free time is read more books, but I might manage to give you some comments on something soon.

My advice: Remember that YWO is a place to share your story second. It is a place to get criticism first. I'm sure you're taking a lot away from the critiques you're getting, and applying them to what you write, but (and this is the part in line with what Wig said) it might be a better idea to post a chapter or two, look at what mistakes you make frequently, and then apply them to the rest of the book. When you've finished the first draft, edit it again and again until you really think it's the best you can make it, and then share it with other people--but get dedicated readers who promise to read the entire thing.

EDIT: I also imagine that you could get more of a return if you critique more. Browsing through your post history, your last critique of someone else's work was more than a month ago.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.

Last edited by Infinity_Man; 05-26-2013 at 11:26 PM.