Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 AM View Post #1 (Link) Motivating a friend to write again
vaultoutfielder (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
My friend's father passed away and it's been tough for her because her mom died too just 2 years ago. She's the only child and no relatives live nearby. Tho she doesn't want to talk about how she feels, I can clearly see how sad she is. She doesn't want to go out of the house and not even interested to eat. I'm encouraging her to write again (she loves to write too) so she can perhaps express her feelings even through writing but she seems to be uninterested. What could help her motivate to write again?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Parham (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Sorry to hear that about your friend. That must be tough. She could probably use professional help, to be honest. And it probably takes quite some time to even begin coping with something like that. I hope your friend gets better.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Abstract Thinker

Originally Posted by Parham View Post
Sorry to hear that about your friend. That must be tough. She could probably use professional help, to be honest. And it probably takes quite some time to even begin coping with something like that. I hope your friend gets better.
Hi. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just visited her last night and her house is such a mess. I bought her some sweets and some books to read. I don't know if she would even touch those. Yeah, I guess a professional help would help. I just don't know how to convince her.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:20 AM View Post #4 (Link)
SvetlanaEGregoire (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
nice helpful update.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:48 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Abstract Thinker

I think she'll be alright soon I felt happy that she messaged me in Facebook. She said that she was reading about some advice for grief and depression. She seems to be interested in getting some help thru counseling. Hopefully, she can start to move on little by little.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:01 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
Sorry for her loss. I'm glad she reached out to you via Facebook. That's definitely a start. I noticed you said that the house is a mess. I think it would be therapeutic to make cleaning the house a start point. You and her, and maybe a couple of common close friends (if there's any), would join up and clean the house. Tidy things up, sort things out, throw the junk away.

Professional help is a great way to help her cope with the loss, for sure, but she also needs familiar faces to always be around and provide love and attention. She needs to feel appreciated and loved as to not feel the weight of the loss as much.

She may not be ready to go out and engage in social gatherings/events/activities, and she may be overwhelmed with large groups. So maybe frequently have a one-on-one gatherings at her place. Watch movies, write, hang out. I do recommend drama movies with a bit of comedic relief maybe. But something that she can vent her feelings through. Whether be it happy crying or sad crying.

I don't know if I'm rambling too much, but I feel like these things may help. Would love to stay updated!