Members List

Writing Forum
Recent Posts
Critique Guidelines

YWO Social Groups

Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository (US) (UK) (Canada)

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 PM View Post #11 (Link)
Jack (Offline)
Freelance Writer
Times Thanked: 114
didn't this already happen?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer
Times Thanked: 240
It did, in fact. Less than a month ago.
Infinity_Man's Mega Guide

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 AM View Post #13 (Link)
OrionRising (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice
Times Thanked: 21
My bad. Sorry, I never saw it. It was just something a friend and I were discussing and I thought it sounded relevant to the forum.
My Not-Surprisingly vacant Poetry Blog:

Witting Poetry

Just because there isn't much there doesn't mean it isn't worth a quick read!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Caitlin40 (Offline)
Times Thanked: 1
Personally I can't make any specific statemnet here. However, even if the chapters have the name, I just skip it. Sometimes, they can even make the reading boring.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM View Post #15 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Times Thanked: 115
Merged threads.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Albino Squirrel (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice
Times Thanked: 8
It depends on the story in my opinion. If it's a story where you don't want to give too much away before you actually write about it, then you should just number it, if it's something where each chapter is like an individual story almost, then titling the chapters could give it more flavor. Usually titling chapters is used to sum up everything that happens in the chapter (or to intrigue the reader if it isn't possible to do so with the beginning sentence) so if it doesn't do those things I find titling the chapter quite pointless.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 PM View Post #17 (Link)
Scarlett.T.G (Offline)
Literary Newbie
It depends wether the story would be more intresting with that quality. But if used carelessly the novel can seem cheesey.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Koroda (Offline)
Abstract Thinker
Originally Posted by OrionRising View Post
When reading a novel do you typically prefer the chapters to each have an individual name or do you prefer them to just be numbered? Why?

Personally, I like them without names. I feel like, unless they are well done, the title of a chapter can be a spoiler and give away whats going to happen. Furthermore, I feel like many times they kill the flow from one chapter to the next. In the movie you have that split second of a black screen as one scene proceeds to the next. In books I feel it should be the same, don't lead the reader into a whole new process of thought by presenting them with a title.

I am not saying I don't read a book if it has chapter titles. In the cases of more intellectual pieces which have a deeper meaning I feel chapter titles can help to highlight symbols and a central meaning in the work. However, in thrillers and fantasy I find that authors often use chapter titles to encompass the central actions of the chapter which kind of ruins the excitement.
I agree with you. Books seem to be more intense when you don't have a chapter title. However, if you're the kind that wants to imagine what will happen based on a little hint, then chapter names are the way to go. Also, chapter names can be quite clever, and don't spoil things at all.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:38 PM View Post #19 (Link)
ElfMeerkat13 (Offline)
Idea Scribe
Times Thanked: 3
I say yay to naming chapters, it gives your reader a slight teaser as to what is going to happen in the next chapter!