Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 PM View Post #11 (Link)
Spiders (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 11
We need better teaching, not more of it.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:21 PM View Post #12 (Link)
Valkyrie (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 5
Michael Gove got a vote of no confidence from the Board of Head teachers which hasn't happened for years. He's also getting rid of GCSE exams and replacing them with I-levels, which is are as stupid as they sound, which is very.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 AM View Post #13 (Link)
thepes (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 2
There's a point when adding more time will only hurt teaching because student will lose focus. My school day is seven hours and that is easily enough. I also do after school programs that already go until 10:00. If school were later then I wouldn't be able to do those anymore. They also give a lot of homework already. How am I supposed to do my homework if I'm in school when I would normally do it? There's already enough school and homework. Test scores aren't going to get better by adding more time. Scores are based mostly on effort. The other part is how well the teacher can teach.
"Out—out are the lights—out all! And, over each quivering form, The curtain, a funeral pall, Comes down with the rush of a storm, While the angels, all pallid and wan, Uprising, unveiling, affirm That the play is the tragedy, “Man,” And its hero, the Conqueror Worm" -Edgard Allan Poe

Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 AM View Post #14 (Link)
redpanda (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I don't think we need longer schooling hours. The teachers already waste there time by showing us youtube videos of Jackie Chan doing kungfu, so what's the point of making it any longer.

BTW, do you have half term breaks?!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 AM View Post #15 (Link)
Valkyrie (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 5
Yes, we do have half-term holidays. The teachers are striking next week, partly because of the longer days thing and partly because of the pension cuts. Basically, Gove is destroying education.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:35 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Guys, this thread is four months old, and it likely died because there's nothing more to add to it. Your posts haven't changed that, so I'mma lock this since I don't see anyone adding anything but, "Yeah, I agree, school shouldn't be longer."

Closed Thread