Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM View Post #1 (Link) Pop
Spiders (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 11
I've had people talk to me about the 'sound' of 'pop' music.

Is there a definable 'sound' to 'pop' music?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Jack (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 114
depends what era you're talking really. traditional pop music from the sixties through seventies and eighties is most easily defined with catchy verses and sing-a-long choruses. but the sound of pop music obviously is subject to changes in style around a particular decade. pop music in the eighties is drowned in synthesisers and electric drum kits with tonnes of echo because those techniques were new and exciting then. right now there's a considerable hip-hop/rap element to most stuff in the charts. you still get your ballads though from people like adele and rihanna, i'd say right now pop music is at probably its most diverse since the conception of what is generally considered the pop song.

EDIT: sorry for the hideous formatting and lack of grammar i havent eaten in tow days

Last edited by Jack; 06-11-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I don't think there is. However, I think there is a somewhat definable structure to pop music, not just in that it's verse-chorus-verse-chorus etc., but in that it's generally short, catchy, and simple, so as to focus on strong melodies without tiring them out, but not so much so that it leaves the listener wanting more.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Nevermore (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 5
I'm not so certain that there's a specific sound to pop, but I think my girlfriend - who has been practicing classical piano for most of her life, and thus is somewhat informed as to what the 'official' standards are when it comes to music - gave me the best description of what 'pop' actually is.

According to her, there are three main categories of music: Pop, Classical, and Folk. Most modern artists fall into the pop category by virtue of simply not being a part of the other two. Given the fact that evidently, classical music is structured in such a way that each individual note is designed to elicit interest in the next note, and the next note, and so on, I feel it safe to assume that pop is less about carrying you through an entire orchestral piece, and more about making a song that sticks inside your head as a small, compact unit.

Ultimately, the best adjective I could really give to the 'sound' of pop would be 'catchy', and even that would only be partially correct due to the overwhelming diversity of the 'pop' category. I mean heck, Phantom of the Opera is technically pop.

Yoda: "That is why you fail."

"You've met a terrible fate, haven't you?"

http://www.terriblefate.com/
Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
'Pop' is derived from 'popular', which used to be rock and roll back in le days when the term first came around, and it's changed every now and then to suit the popular trend of the time, so I don't think you could have defined 'pop'. However, more genres are becoming more widespread and diverse, and it seems like pop has become it's own sub-genre and not just what it started out to bed. Late 90s/Early 00s stuff always comes to my mind when I think pop.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM View Post #6 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
lololol.

that is pretty accurate.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 AM View Post #8 (Link) it depends on who you are
xXsammy11Xx (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
if you're one of those people that have a passion for pop, then yes there is a 'sound' to pop music. the only thing that separates pop from other genres is the (usually) quick beat and happy lyrics and everything. but, really, pop can be sad or happy or anything,just usually put in a happy way.