Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 PM View Post #71 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
This is not a thread about whether or not God exists. It is certainly not a religion vs. science debate. It is a thread about the role of Christians in the act of salvation. Please do not attempt to take this thread off-topic. Any further posts deemed off-topic will be deleted.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:35 AM View Post #72 (Link)
Spiders (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 11
you take God as logical and/or friendly in his (non-existant) action
I don't. Christians don't apply the world's opinions of right and wrong to God; he's higher than that. Christians apply God's opinions of right and wrong to the world.

(now to steer this back on topic)

Ergo, a 'tolerant' Christian ought to be acting as such not because of what the world wants of them, but because of what God wants of them. TBH, whether people view them as terrible or not shouldn't matter; it's God's opinion that's most important. Those who seek to please men may find it hard to please God at the same time. Those who seek to please God may piss off men repeatedly; but the Bible teaches Christians that this isn't a problem. It can even be a good sign.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM View Post #73 (Link)
lostbookworm (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 96
Infinity Man, you're overreacting.

I am not, as you see it, turning this into a debate about whether God exists or not, or science vs religion argument. My argument was that Spiders judged a statement upon three points: the Bible as a source of knowledge, human logic and God's friendliness. The reason I continuously stated God does not exist is to ensure people reading knew I was talking hypothetically when discussing him. Am I no longer allowed to state my opinion without fear of my posts being deleted?

Also, any debate about theology is open to outsiders who argue that the entire argument is pointless as God doesn't exist. You cannot draw a line between Christians and atheists and tell us we cannot cross that line. Perhaps if someone purposely riled everyone and proceeded to turn the debate into a game of throwing insults across the board, then you would be justified in threatening their right to post, but I did no such thing. I instead pointed out the issues in the following.

First, the Bible. It is an inaccurate and illogical piece of, dare I say it, fiction. Others will call it a work, but for the most part it is a collection myths taken from other religious practices, alongside laws by which we should abide (the majority of which are outdated and/or bigoted) and the stories of a man named Jesus who could apparently raise people from the dead. It seems to my mind then, to take it as a source of knowledge, even as a Christian source in a theological debate, verges upon the ludicrous. You are, of course, entitled to use it, but that doesn't prove your point.

Second, human logic. Need I argue that the entire idea of eternal salvation/damnation is illogical? The existence of an omni-benevolent God (which, as I know of, most Christians hold to) surely means Hell doesn't exist, as God is all-forgiving and will forgive even the greatest of sinners. But apparently if we don't give God enough praise during our lifetime, we get sent to burn in Hell for all eternity! You can see the same with the Problem of Evil. Human logic does not hold when arguing about God - faith does.

Finally, we come to friendliness. Just look at the above answer, and the Problem of Evil for two powerful arguments against God's friendliness. Look at how human beings are unable to stand the sight of torture, or are abhorrent in the face of rape. Yet God seems to have a nice little place where we all get sent for an eternity of it. Does that sound very friendly to you?

I am not the one who based a rebuttal upon those three basis', you did Spiders. Therefore to try and tell me now that Christians don't apply them to the world is really rather pointless. Surely that is what you meant when you said that a human point was none of those things when taken in the context of God's understanding of those things, or at very least, a religious understanding of those things.

Now, did I draw a scientific comparison when discussing logic? Why, yes, I did. This isn't a problem, is it? Did I perhaps insult some people by arguing against their point? Quite possibly! But did I, in any way, try to derail this discussion? Not from where I am standing. So Infinity Man, I would appreciate it if you would look a little more closely at my arguments before threatening to delete them.

Last edited by lostbookworm; 04-01-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:47 PM View Post #74 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Originally Posted by lostbookworm View Post
So Infinity Man, I would appreciate it if you would look a little more closely at my arguments before threatening to delete them.
And I would appreciate it if you had not entered the discussion which such insightful arguments as:

If you wish to challenge this further, please VM or PM me.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.

Last edited by Infinity_Man; 04-01-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM View Post #75 (Link)
lostbookworm (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 96
Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
And I would appreciate it if you had not entered the discussion which such insightful arguments as:
Well it made me laugh, what can I say? Am I not allowed to have a little fun either? It's hardly as though I left it at that, as I went onto explain my views. Yes, I was derisive towards Spider's point. So sue me. The edit came after this post, so I'll leave it here. You can VM me if you want to reply.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:03 PM View Post #76 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
Oh dear. I haven't really been reading this properly but just shame on all of you - (now I wrote an essay about shame in the bible)

Closed Thread