Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:31 PM View Post #11 (Link)
SapphireSeaBird (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 15
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
But some people don't really respect eachother's views and opinions and that's what really pisses me off.
Same here, it's up to each individual what they want to believe, nobody else has the right to judge that... But it just annoys me when I see "Christians" who think they're cooler than everyone else going round, in school for example, and bullying the unpopular kids and bitching about everyone behind their backs.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:24 AM View Post #12 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176

I find the complete opposite. Everywhere I go I see more and more friends getting into atheism or agnosticism because it's "cool".

Last edited by ScottyMcGee; 10-07-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 PM View Post #13 (Link)
Belial (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
religion is not nessesary to society, in the since that religion only creates conflict. besides why bellieve in something that has no proof. I personally believe in evolution, and many religious people have a problem with evolution, even though they dont know anything about it. and the only thing they have to argue with is that "WE dont come from monkeys". seriously, learn about what your arguing against before you argue.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Peppermental (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 137
pseudo-intellectualism is the real trend. its gross.
[Jack] Caleb <3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Jack] 333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Jack] 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Faust] Caleb!
[Rose] CALEB!
[Jack] 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Peppermental] so jack.
[Jack] 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Jack] 33333333
[Jack] 3
[Fi] CALEB!
[Rose] I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUU

Old 12-26-2010, 10:31 PM View Post #15 (Link)
DarkRaven (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Originally Posted by SapphireSeaBird View Post
Well, this debate is probably going to start some Christian vs Athiest arguements and the like, and I'll probably regret starting it in the first place, but this is something I have been wondering for a while now.
Perhaps it's just where I live in particular, but it seems to me that a lot of people - not everyone, but some - teenagers in particular, have simply become Christian because it's now a "cool" thing to do. Call me cynical, but I've met a lot of people who say they are Christian, and go to youth groups and CU and the like, but they sure don't act like it. Another thing that bothers me is when they act like they're above everyone else, just because they are Christian.

So what do other people think? Am I just being narrow minded? Or does anyone agree?
If anything the opposite is true for Ireland. While a few of my friends are Opus Deii, ours is the first generation to kick off the shackles of the Roman Catholic Church. The child abuse scandals is what really started to give the Church a bad name in the 1990s.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 PM View Post #16 (Link)
crayons932 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 14
I follow a religion called apatheism, which basically means that I don't really care either way, because it doesn't affect me. People worshiping this god affect me, but not god himself. In other words, it's called the "just take another cookie" belief, which means that we shouldn't really get worked up about this, because whether god is real or not, I don't really care!! I do care if someone says they have a right to kill in god's name, but when it comes down to beliefs, I just take another cookie

It all was worth it for the punch line

"When I meet you, in that moment, I'm no longer a part of your future. I start quickly becoming part of your past. But in that instant, I get to share your present, and you, you get to share mine. And that is the greatest present of all." Hiroshima - Sarah Kay

Old 12-28-2010, 05:48 PM View Post #17 (Link)
SapphireSeaBird (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 15
I think people are kind of missing the point...
Maybe I didn't put myself across very well, but what I'm trying to say is, do you think that some people are just calling themselves Christian because that's what they're friends are doing, and they feel that's what they have to do to fit in?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 PM View Post #18 (Link)
DarkRaven (Offline)
Novice Writer

Maybe I didn't put myself across very well, but what I'm trying to say is, do you think that some people are just calling themselves Christian because that's what they're friends are doing, and they feel that's what they have to do to fit in?
That was me when I was 12, but when I turned 14 or 15 I kind of realised that I no longer believed in it at all. I hadn't for years before that, but my teachers and friends criticised me any time I opened my mouth to say that science contradicted it.

All of them are atheists now too. I think I was the first to openly say that I didn't believe in God any longer though.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:05 AM View Post #19 (Link)
Kitty (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
It does bug me that people are, as I've heard put it before, practical atheists and yet don't realize it. You live like an atheist, or any other religion truly, but atheist works in what I've seen, and then for the church service, you are a Christian, you pray to God, you donate to the church while dressed in your Sunday best and sing along with everyone else. But you don't live like a Christian. During the week you don't pray, you don't remember God. And that can also be because people think it's cool to 'trash Christians' 'Trash Jews' 'Trash Muslims' 'Trash Atheists' So you have the opposite effect to, people leaving the religion due to social pressures.

But I have seen people being one religion because it's 'cool' or 'all my friends are doing it, why not me too?' or just to be part of the 'in' crowd, take the bar mitzvah people in the Jewish culture have at 13. I know people who talked about having one back then when they just wanted the party, (I'm not going to pretend I know quite a lot about how it all works not being Jewish, but I do know of the celebration).

But I think at all times and all places you'll have people becoming religious for 'the wrong reasons' be it for money, fame or just street cred.

So in a way to answer the question, people are and then people are actually coming to believe in the religion and this 'fad' everyone is into helped them become a part of the religion. Though the opposite is happening too.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 AM View Post #20 (Link)
DarkRaven (Offline)
Novice Writer

The Roman Catholic Church in Ireland might be partly responsible for that. If you're an alter server, or sing at the choir in your local church, or play music for it, or decorate the Church, they often pay for you to go on days out to places, or to even go to World Youth Day. Essentially, they're bribing you to stay with the Church.

Now I know a lot of people who do those kinds of things, that genuinely believe in Catholicism... but still a lot of them are in it, because they get free days out with their friends. There are also a lot of girls who really enjoy singing, and want to do it in College. Church choirs are one way to get a scholarship.

But that said, those people are a minority. Most young people are so apathetic about religion, that they don't bother to go to Church on Sundays, even if the rest of their family do.

Closed Thread