Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 AM View Post #1 (Link) Should Some Books Be Banned From Schools?
Bwandls (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 12
So, the other day, my teacher said that next year they would probably be removing "The Wars" by Timothy Findley because of the graphic violence and rape scenes in it, as well as a couple other great books on the reading lists. People are always arguing about this, from "To Kill a Mockingbird" to "Harry Potter".

Personally, I thing it's bull. These are great books that shouldn't be denied to students just because they have some discomforting subjects. If the student is truly uncomfortable, they can get a note from a parent and read a different book, right? Why ban them?

What's you're stance on the issue? Ban the books or not?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:45 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
I can understand why a teacher might choose not to use a book in their class, and I think this is in principle acceptable (whether or not that is a good choice is another matter - I would question the teacher who would not teach Huck Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird). To remove a book from a library or school library - particularly in high school - is detestable.

I would be interested to see if anyone here plays devils advocate (or argues earnestly) against your opinion - writers and teenagers/college students are two groups that rarely think anything should be banned, restricted, or controlled from above.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:42 AM View Post #3 (Link)
SapphireSeaBird (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 15
I don't think books should be banned, it should be left up to the teacher to decide what they think is suitable to teach, or for the pupil to decide what they're comfortable reading. I mean, if a book really is unsuitable for school a teacher is hardly going to risk getting complaints by teaching it.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
I can think of a book that should be banned.

That damn book on how to be a pedophile or child rapist.

Dunno if anyone remembers the story about that in the news a while ago.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 PM View Post #5 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
I would say that if a school has a book it should not be removed, because it was accepted before. I think that if a book they've had is destroyed, they should replace it. But, of course, they shouldn't get every new book, and that's just judgement.
As for the teachers, that's their choice what to teach.
It just depends on what "banned" means: that the school will not buy it, or that the school will remove the copies they have. If a school accepted a book, why should they get rid of it?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Bwandls (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 12
Originally Posted by lalodragon View Post
It just depends on what "banned" means: that the school will not buy it, or that the school will remove the copies they have. If a school accepted a book, why should they get rid of it?
Well, I know there's a list of the curriculum that is allowed to be taught, and a banned list; if the book is put on the banned list, then it's not allowed to be taught.

Isis, you took the words out of my mouth.

It's not like I go to a religious school where books could be justified as being sac-religious, or an elementary school where kids shouldn't be exposed to such things. I go to a public high school in Canada, one of the most diversely populated countries in the world; racism is sure to be present with so many conflicting cultures, anyways. People are exposed to things like murder and rape every day, on the news and in the media...

I just think the question is, where do you stop? Should they ban Macbeth because it mentions witchcraft and murder? Or Harry Potter because it contains magic?

I can think of a book that should be banned.

That damn book on how to be a pedophile or child rapist.
Obviously, inappropriate books with no literary merit should definitely be banned. Especially with topics like that. But I'm talking good books, like To Kill a Mockingbird or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
B-but how am I supposed to teach my kids about Lolita?

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Clarissa (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 39
This annoyed me actually, because the exam board for my English Lit exam decided to remove a poem because it was slightly violent. I think they must have received complaints from teachers or mothers or something.

It annoyed me, because they weren't even letting the teachers decide whether or not to teach the poem (which, by the way, I googled, and it wasn't that bad). I mean, that's just a form of censorship, right? If I wanted to live in a censored society, I would have gone to live in the USSR or Communist China.

When Americans aren't being racist, they're really overly PC. My library had a display of all the books that had been banned in the US and the reasons they were banned and it was just bizarre. Who the hell would complain about the magic in Harry Potter? There's 'magic' of sorts in the Bible, and I don't see anyone complaining about that...

Truth is Beauty and Beauty is Truth.
(Keats)

When you've looked and looked, and have found nothing better to do: Read it and weep
Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Jack (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 114
Originally Posted by Bwandls View Post
Obviously, inappropriate books with no literary merit should definitely be banned. .
Who gets to decide what has literary merit and what is just inappropriate? Maybe that paedophile was a really great writer.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 PM View Post #10 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Well, I know there's a list of the curriculum that is allowed to be taught, and a banned list; if the book is put on the banned list, then it's not allowed to be taught.
So the superintendent/principal/PTA decides what books the teachers can teach, based on.... their opinion? complaints? No, I don't think there should be any banned list like this. A teacher should be able to choose his(her) own material. If your teacher choses the pedophile book, the teacher should be fired. But in highschool, it's not like the students don't know this stuff (violence and sex).....
But. If you have 20 kids, and 8 believe {beliefhere}, and the 8 kids are not allowed to read a book involving {subjecthere} then nearly half your class is going to get parental notes and, if they can, read a different book. That means different test, different projects... which could be averted by using a book not involving {subjecthere}.
I still don't like the banned books list, but a school should consider that, and a teacher should know whether half the class will be upset by a book. So: have the teachers think rather than banning anything. Maybe?