Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 AM View Post #21 (Link)
Callum (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 0
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Russia takes up like a quarter of all land on earth. Not only that but based on on the history Russia is military is quite deadly so... I think Russia is a as dangerous as a bomb inside a bomb inside another bomb inside a plane filled with terrorists.
Okay, so why did they not destroy everyone in the Cold War? Having land isn't all of it. Sure they have plenty of space but a lot of it is quite hard to inhabit. While it's true they're used to it.. Eh, in my opinion it's not a huge factor. I'd be more afraid of the fact that, let's face it, they're government is pretty fucked up and there's no doubt they're sitting on a nuclear arsenal. World War Three will probably not be fought with infantry. In my opinion, covert ops & Ballistic Missile strikes. Along with economic warfare (is that even a thing?).

Originally Posted by Peppermental View Post
I kind of expect this thread to pivot towards something to do with globalization and it's effects, and maybe a few "fuck you america"'s thrown in. Just a guess though.
oh, uh, yeah. fuck you america!

Spoiler:
We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught. He can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.
- V for Vendetta.

Spoiler:
I walk fearless with a mind far greater than your fucking fist!
- 'Armed With A Mind' by the band Have Heart.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM View Post #22 (Link)
bookworm79 (Offline)
Novice Writer

I think the next war and the final war will be over water. When the planet is frakked

Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 PM View Post #23 (Link)
WartimeKid95 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Originally Posted by Bowie20049 View Post
If not Korea, then Israel then?
Probably not Israel in the idea of "starting something", it will more than likely be started by North Korea or Iran. If it is started by Iran they will pull other Islamic nations on board and the attack will be Against Israel. Israel isn't stupid enough to start a war flat out in the open like Iran or North Korea, Israel is very good at covert operations so any sort of attack they do on any other foreign power would probably be done through that.
If I had to bet on who would start it I would say North Korea, I mean seriously - they have said that the armistice agreement made in 1953 ending the Korean War is now invalid and hostilities can resume at any point.

But thats all just from what i've heard around the Base and on CNN. Guess we will see soon...

Old 03-18-2013, 01:18 AM View Post #24 (Link)
thecollector (Offline)
Novice Writer

Location: I am only a figment of your imagination. Dismiss me as such.
Times Thanked: 65
"The last drops of fossil fuels will be used in a tank fighting over the last of the Earth's supply of water."- a book I read

We're destroying ourselves and will all crash and burn and destroy the world. We're going down with nothing to break the fall. So, enjoy your time on this miserable space rock while it lasts.

"One day, I'd like to be the last remaining magical thing in this un-magical world. Right now, I could be anything; a powder keg or a box of cornflakes. But one day, I'll be magic, and magic will suit me as I explode in every direction like a fire cracker in a box of crayons."
- The Psychotherapy of a Teddy Bear Strangler

Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM View Post #25 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Originally Posted by thecollector View Post
"The last drops of fossil fuels will be used in a tank fighting over the last of the Earth's supply of water."- a book I read
I never quite understood the idea of "wasting water," simply because I don't see how such a thing could happen. All the water we "waste" merely evaporates and goes into the air again. Whether by your dead body or when thrown on the grass, etc, etc. I think then the correct version is "Earth's supply of purified water." Unless I'm ignorant of some way we are losing water. I'm a biologist, not a chemist.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 AM View Post #26 (Link)
thecollector (Offline)
Novice Writer

Location: I am only a figment of your imagination. Dismiss me as such.
Times Thanked: 65
Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
I never quite understood the idea of "wasting water," simply because I don't see how such a thing could happen. All the water we "waste" merely evaporates and goes into the air again. Whether by your dead body or when thrown on the grass, etc, etc. I think then the correct version is "Earth's supply of purified water." Unless I'm ignorant of some way we are losing water. I'm a biologist, not a chemist.
Yeah, it's definitely Earth's purified water mentioned. It's just a quote I remember.

"One day, I'd like to be the last remaining magical thing in this un-magical world. Right now, I could be anything; a powder keg or a box of cornflakes. But one day, I'll be magic, and magic will suit me as I explode in every direction like a fire cracker in a box of crayons."
- The Psychotherapy of a Teddy Bear Strangler

Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM View Post #27 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 88
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Russia takes up like a quarter of all land on earth. Not only that but based on on the history Russia is military is quite deadly so... I think Russia is a as dangerous as a bomb inside a bomb inside another bomb inside a plane filled with terrorists.

Well, may I ask you something?

Do you know that:
1) After the collapse of the USSR, Russia has become a rather small country.
2) The U.S. economy is 8 times more powerful than the Russian economy.
3) Currently in Russia there a lot of political, economic, social and ideological problems.
4) The opposition movement has intensified in Russia.
5) There's the U.S. military staging post in the city of Russia ( Ulyanovsk).
6) Almost all of the Russia money supply (stabilization fund) is in the U.S.
7) A huge number of children of Russian officials are studying at U.S. universities.
8) Many Russian officials have bought real estate in the U.S. and they keep their money in U.S. banks.
9) A huge number of Russian children were adopted by American families.
10) And on top of that, I never saw in Russia a single person who actually believed that it is possible to fight with America, being of sound mind. In fact a great amount of Russian people loves America. There's one member in Duma (Zhirinovsky) that always shouts about the American threats, but all the people take him for the evil jerking clown, he is supposed to be out of his mind and everybody laugh at him.
So, taking all above mentioned into account, do you really think, that Russia is as dangerous as a bomb inside a bomb and so on?
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 03-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM View Post #28 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Originally Posted by Georgy View Post

9) A huge number of Russian children were adopted by American families.
Didn't they very recently ban adoption of Russian children by American families?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:19 PM View Post #29 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 88
[QUOTE=ScottyMcGee;167517]Didn't they very recently ban adoption of Russian children by American families?

It would sound more correctly to say that many Russian children have been adopted by American families.
Duma issued a prohibition of adoption by American families, but Duma is far from being hand and glove with the advanced Russian society.
A huge rallies were held against this law, which is called non officially "cannibalistic law." Request for a review of the law signed by prominent public figures, was sent to the president. The deputies passed the law, despised by many public figures and ordinary people.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM View Post #30 (Link)
LonelyHouseStudio (Offline)
Literary Newbie

The leaders of North Korea are the most rhetoric war-mongering bunch of lunatics this world has known. Their weapons technology is appallingly primitive compared to their enemies, and even China has begun to fall from their side, having sided with the UN's sanctions and publicly acting against North Korea's nuclear tests. Their only ally is starting to lose touch with them, and if they go for South Korea first they'll be a nuclear strike from elsewhere, if not a backlash from SK which causes both sides to be near-destroyed. North Korea doesn't have the power to initiate a third world war, because it would only take one or two countries to defeat it and also because they are against everyone else in the world. Everyone is their enemy, but because of their glorified upbringing and propaganda they believe that they are better than everyone else. Unless we all unite to fight them for whatever reason, NK is not going to have anything to do with a world war. Personally I believe the idea of nuclear weaponry is to scare other politicians and keep peace as neutral as legitimately possible, but it's very unlikely that anyone (except North Korea) will attempt to start a nuclear war. It's the idea of a nuclear war that, ironically, prevents it from happening.

Closed Thread